Wednesday, October 9, 2013

REVIEW: Avery Odio Equum


I'm doing my damnedest to get this blog back on some kind of schedule. We'll get there. I've tried in the bast to get into sour ales. I quite liked Duchesse Du Bourgogne, I was less fond of Uinta's Birthday Suit. I think it's fair to call my experience with sours a mixed bag. I'm not one to let a momentary setback get in between me and an entire segment of the craft beer world. Especially when I'm staring at a bottle from one of my all time favorite breweries. Avery's Odio Equum is a 7.1% ABV sour brewed with raspberries and aged for an entire year in cabernet sauvignon barrels. To the beer!

Odio Eqqum pours a murky brownish red with some nice ruby colored highlights when held to light. Atop the beer sits a layer of off white head that recedes to a thin rim and doesn't leave a lot in the way of lacing.

On the nose there's plenty of earthy funky sourness of course. Underneath that is a lot of dark fruit complexity in the form of notes of plum, grape, date, and a faint bright citrusyness. A subtle dry chocolatey hint adds a bit of balance. Very nice.

Odio Equum starts with a spritzy dry tartness. As the sourness receedes a complex fruitiness emerges with notes of raspberry, red grape, granny smith apple, and pear. A powdery, sour candied sugar follows and leads into an intense, dry, mouth-scrubbing, sour finish. As the beer warms the sourness is lessened a bit as the flavors meld.

I really liked this one. The sourness is pretty intense and this certainly isn't a beer for everyone, but that complex fruitiness is really inviting. If you see a bottle of this one and don't mind a bit of a challenge I certainly recommend picking one up.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment