Wednesday, July 3, 2013

REVIEW: Revolution Mother of Exiles


If you rely on my facebook or twitter to be notified when new content goes up on here it may have seemed like I was conspicuously absent. Well, I suppose I was, but I did not shirk my duties as far as sharing you my inane babbling about beers. If you look back I talked about Two beers from Sun King, Osiris, and Bourbon Barrel Wee Mac, and Frankenmuth's Hefeweizen. Go check those out. Good stuff. The reason I wasn't posting those reviews to facebook or twitter is that I was out of the country and well outside of cell service. My travels will also be responsible for vastly aesthetically improved bacgrounds for the photos on the blog for the next month or so as well as a dearth of Canadian craft beer! We'll get to those in due time. First I have a few beers that I brought up with me that we need to run through before we can get to the Canadian ones. At the top of that list is Mother of Exiles. A pilsner from one of my favorites, Chicago's Revolution brewing. I'm getting a bit of a Daenerys Targaryen vibe from the name of this beer. I guess she's the Mother of Dragons, rather than the Mother of Exiles. Athough, I suppose all of the slaves that she freed in Mereen and Astapor and such would qualify her as the Mother of Exiles. In actuality the name comes from the poem The New Colossus that is famously emblazoned upon the Statue of Liberty. So the Mother of exiles isn't Daenerys Targaryen,  but Lady Liberty! You learn something new every day. But I digress, to the beer!

Mother of Exiles pours a beautifully filtered, crystal clear brassy gold underneath a layer of bone white foam that leaves spotty lacing.

Grassy, herbal, straw-like aromas lead the way here. The hop character is backed by a light crackery malt and a faint powdery fruitiness. It's all very summery, simple, but nice.

Mother of Exiles is pretty light in body with a touch of creaminess on the mouthfeel. The flavors mimic the aromas pretty closely with notes of lemon, grassy hops, and a light crackery sweetness. It finishes crisp, with a nice mild bitterness.

Lagers like this can often be hard to talk about. They're at their best when they're simple, balanced, clean. And often, it's hard to come up with a ton of notes for a beer like this. But don't take that as a slight against it. I am always on the lookout for a tasty craft lager and this one fits the bill. Mother of Exiles is simple, light, but still with enough subtle interest and complexity to keep me coming back for each next sip. The only thing that's a bit curious about this beer though? The serving vessel. i would think this beer would be perfect for a six pack of cans, but a bomber? Sort of odd.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment