Wednesday, June 26, 2013

REVIEW: Sun King Osiris


The last time I looked at a beer from Sun King it was the Sunlight Cream Ale that I got when I went up to Indy to see Dark Knight Rises in IMAX. That was fun. I should do that again. Anybody know if Pacific Rim was actually shot in IMAX? That movie looks incredible. IMAX is sort of like 3-D for me, If a movie was shot in 3-D or IMAX, I'll check it out. If it's upconverted, like most big action movies that come out are, it isn't worth the extra cash for the ticket. But yeah, Pacific Rim looks insane. Idris Elba fighting Kaiju? Sold. Who wants to go see it with me? Back to the beer. Today we're looking at Osiris, the last of Sun King's core beers and a dry hopped west coast style pale ale. To the beer!

Osiris pours a very pretty coppery gold. It's perfectly clear but for a substantial bit of dry hopped haze. Atop the beer is a thin layer of bone white head that doesn't leave much in the way of lacing.

On the nose I pick up hints of a crackery caramel malt and plenty of fresh hoppy aromas of pine, citrusy grapefruit, with a touch of a floral character. It's all pretty delicate.

Osiris is fairly light in body with a pretty slick mouthfeel. Hop derived notes of pine, grapefruit, and tangerine dominate the flavor but the beer manages to never taste imbalanced. A toffee/ caramel malt flavor adds a bit of body and balances things out a bit. Also helpful in keeping this beer balanced and drinkable is the fact that the bitterness here is very measured. It finishes awfully clean, which also works out really well as it leaves me immediately wanting the next sip.

Well, Sun King has yet to let me down. Osiris is yet another incredibly solid offering. If you find yourself in Indianapolis snag a four pack or two. I'm serious about Pacific Rim. I can't wait for that movie.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment