Wednesday, October 2, 2013

REVIEW: MadTree The Great PumpCan


So apparently brewers love Charlie Brown puns. This isn't even the last one you'll see on the blog this year. I've got another one waiting in the fridge. I suppose if you're going to go with a derivative name you could do a lot worse than referencing Charlie Brown. Plus, at least MadTree is putting their own spin on it. The great PumpCan is only available on draft as of yet, but cans will be coming at some point down the road. It's brewed with molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice and clocks in at 7.9% ABV and 18 IBUs. Let's get to it. To the beer!

The Great PumpCan pours a stunningly pretty shade of deep ruby red topped by an impressively resilient layer of frothy tan head. The foam here was especially noteworthy as it cam straight from a growler. I usually expect a less than optimal pour coming from a growler, but even on the second day the head was sturdy. This growler I picked up last weekend does have some new type of cap from what  I'm used to. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

On the nose I get an even handed mixture of all of those seasonal spices. Notes of nutmeg and allspice are backed by a hearty earthy molasses sweetness. A spicy bill character compliments the other spices very nicely.

On the first sip I'm struck by PumpCam's full, rich heartiness. A great creamy character leads into a stout bready spiciness. Hints of ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and even a bit of clove are laid on top of a backbone of molasses sweetness that adds almost a rum-like flavor with subtle bits of vanilla. What really ties this beer together though are the hops. I know MadTree says that it's only 18 IBUs but you really could've fooled me. There's this hearty, spicy, earthy bitterness that combats all of the sweet malt flavor and all of those spices. The beer is balanced very well.

The word I keep coming back to with this one is hearty. I think that's pretty appropriate and definitely something to be sought after with a beer like this. A fall seasonal needs to be able to stand up to these cooler shorter days. And I firmly believe that a bigger heartier beer like this is a perfect canvas for all of those seasonal spices. MadTree got this one right. Keep an eye out for this one, Cincinnati folks.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment