Monday, September 30, 2013

REVIEW: Rhinegeist Franz


So last Friday I looked at an Oktoberfest that's about as traditional as you can get. Today, I'm checking out an Oktoberfest that's at the opposite end of the spectrum. I was taking with Bryant from Rhinegeist a while ago and asked him what they were cooking up in the coming months and he told me to be on the lookout for an Oktoberfest come this time of year. But how do you a brew an Oktoberfest, a beer that is traditionally lagered since March when you've only been open and brewing for a few short months. Well, apparently you stretch the rules a bit. When I grabbed this growler I asked how the beer was fermented since I knew they weren't going the traditional lager route. It turns out that it's brewed with an Scottish ale yeast which, as I was informed, acts sort of like a lager yeast when fermented at lower temperatures. I'm always in favor of bucking style guidelines. Let's see how this one stacks up. To the beer!

Franz pours as many Oktoberfests do, a crystal clear shade of coppery amber with a finger of off white head.

On the nose I get toasty notes of caramel as well as bready, biscuity toffee. There's an ever so slight roasty hint as well as a subtle earthy hop character.

Franz is light to medium in body but with full, rich, malty flavor in spades. Robust notes of bready toffee and caramel combine with a touch of fruity sweetness with hints of apple and berry. More biscuity malt flavors come back before a subtle earthy bitterness.

This may not be the most traditional Oktoberfest beer but it certainly has what I'm looking for out of those type of brews. Light enough in both flavor and alcohol to put down more than a few pints but still possessing of a wonderful rich malty flavor. Highly recommended.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment