Monday, May 21, 2012

Sun King Tasting Room


This past weekend I found myself in Indianapolis for a friend's wedding. I took the opportunity to check out Sun King, a brewery that I had heard a lot of great things about but whose beer I had never had as they don't distribute very far outside of Indianapolis. So while my girlfriend, Meredith, was occupied with bridesmaid duties my friend, BJ and I headed to downtown Indianapolis to check things out.

Upon entering Sun King the first thing that struck me was what a cool room it was. It was big, bright, inviting, and there was good music playing. Also the place was pretty busy. On one end of the tasting room was a wall of taps where the samples were being given out. There was also a ton of Sun King merch for sale: T shirts, posters, hats, tap handles, pint glasses, can coozies, you name it. Had I not been determined to leave with a ton of beer I for sure would've picked some up. The most interesting thing about the tasting room however, was the fact that it opened right out into the production brewery. I went around 1:00 in the afternoon so there was plenty of work being done in the brewery and the air was filled with that wonderful baking bread like aroma of beer being brewed.

Far better than any area rug I've ever seen.
Sun King hardware.
After looking around it was time to get down to business, the beer! Now Sun King's Tasting room is set up a bit different than the one's I've been to here in Cincinnati. For example, Mt. Carmel's tasting room is essentially a little bar. You can come in, have a couple pints, and be on your way. At Sun King when you enter you are given three tokens and three tickets. The tickets are redeemed for samples of their house beers, Sunlight Cream Ale, Wee Mac Scottish-Style Ale, and Osiris Pale Ale. The tokens can be redeemed for whatever seasonal or beers they have on tap. I elected to do the sensible thing and try one of each. They were all quite tasty, but there will be quite a bit on that later in the week.


The Sun King taproom was a hell of a good time. I just went and I'm already looking forward to when I can go back. And most importantly, the beer absolutely lived up to all the hype. I left with a 64 oz. growler and two four packs and I can already tell that it isn't going to be enough. Stay tuned to QCBN for the rest of the week for the reviews of those beers! Next time I head to Indianapolis this will definitely be on the to-do list, hopefully for a tour this time.

HD


No comments:

Post a Comment