Thursday, October 17, 2013

REVIEW: New Holland Four Witches


I've got a handful of big dark beers sitting in the fridge but the time just hasn't seemed right to break them out. This dark beer is a little bit more of what I'm in the mood for.The first and only black saison I ever had, Green Flash's Freindship Brew, I wasn't totally wild about. The spice was kind of all over the place and it didn't really do it for me. But that's just one beer. Today we've got Four Witches, another black saison from a brewery that I haven't looked at much. New Holland, Michigan's New Holland Brewing. Let's get to it. To the beer!

Four Witches pours a deep opaque looking black, but when held right up to light effervescent ruby highlights shine through. It's capped off by a tall layer of loosely bubbled tan head that recedes to a thin rim.

A really bready roasty coffee note comes out first. Subtle dry chocolate mixes with a bright lemony, grassy, herbal hop. Finishing things up is a delicate peppery, spicy, cardamom that adds some really nice complexity.

Four Witches is fairly light, well, at least lighter than I was expecting given the ABV and the color. Think somewhere in between a schwarzbier and a porter. A punchy hit of bright citrusy lemon leads things off and is followed by delicate yet rich malty flavors of toffee, dark chocolate, and a subtle coffee note. The maltiness lends a pleasant fullness and a mild sweetness. A muted yeasty fruitiness adds flavors of anise, currant, and date.

This beer is stellar. Subtle, delicate, complex, but still incredibly rich and flavorful. I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed four witches. If you see this at your favorite bar or bottle shop make sure to grab one. You won't be disappointed.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment