Friday, October 18, 2013

REVIEW: Bell's Wheat Love Ale


So I really have no idea what this beer is. Wheat Love Ale Really isn't the most descriptive name. From the back of the bottle I was able to glean that it checks in at 8% ABV. That doesn't really help me out that much though. I think it's a fair guess that it's brewed with wheat, but that doesn't really narrow it down. Is it a weizenbock, dunkelweizen, some kind of imperial hefeweizen, imperial Oberon? (Oh man, that last idea has me intrigued.) Well, whatever it is, it's a new (to me) beer from Bell's That's enough for me. To the beer!

Wheat Love pours a clouded over pale golden yellow underneath a towering, rocky layer of bone white head that leaves lovely lacing as it recedes. I guess I can rule out a dark wheat ale at this point.

Intense fruity aromas of lemon, lime, grapefruit, and banana burst out of the top of the glass. In addition to all of the fruitiness there are spicy peppery notes and a crackery bready malt sweetness. You know? On the nose this does kind of have me thinking of a big, beefed up pale wheat ale. I'm enjoying things so far.

First things first. This beer is fabulously creamy. Like decadently so almost. A bright, lively, punchy bitterness hits up front. As the bitteness softens it leads into peppery spicy flavors and citrusy notes of lemon. A grassy hop bitterness contrasts a crackery powdery malt sweetness. a bit more fruit returns before the finish with subtle notes of banana and lime.

I like this one. It's not an imperial Oberon unfortunaltely. I think it's something more akin to a Belgian strong golden ale, or possibly even a tripel. I looked online after drinking it and apparently it's a wheat wine. Which is a style i don't have a ton of experience with outside of the transcendent 3rd Year Beer from Revolution. These two beers couldn't be more different though. But anyways, Bell's fans as well as fans of wheats, Belgians, and ales of all stripes should find a whole lot to love here.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment