Friday, February 22, 2013

REVIEW: Flying Dog Underdog Atlantic Lager


Today's beer is indicative of three things in beer that I have really grown to appreciate in the year that I've done this blog. First of all it's canned. A vessel that I honestly prefer to bottles at this point. Two, it's sessionable, only 4.7%. And third, it's a craft pale lager. That's good enough for me to give Underdog from Frederick, Marlyland's Flying Dog a shot. To the beer!

Underdog pours a pale slightly hazed golden yellow. I'm beginning to think the reddish hue that many of these beers have been taking in my photographs have less to do with my meager skills behind the camera and much more to do with the brick wall backdrop. It looks cool though so you guys will just have to take my word on the color. It's topped by a dense finger of bone white head that left rings of lacing on the way down.

On the nose things get started with a fairly pronounced biscuity crackery malt. That is contrasted by a floral herbal hop character. Light and simple, but somehow deceptively complex.

A robust carbonation lends Underdog a pretty creamy yet light body. Much like with the aromas, the flavors of this beer are very simple: slightly crackery, slightly herbal. A strong bitterness gives the beer a crisp bite and a clean finish.

As I was sitting down to review this beer I couldn't help but find the flavors a bit one note. Not a ton of complexity. But you know what? I didn't mind at all. This is a simple, crisp, drinkable lager with a nice bitterness. It isn't trying to be anything that it's not. And sometimes, that's all you need. It hit the spot.

HD

1 comment: