Wednesday, December 5, 2012

REVIEW: Bell's Christmas Ale


I mentioned on Monday's post that I really appreciated that Southern Tier went in a new, weird direction with their Swedish Glögg inspired 2XMAS. It's always cool and fun to see brewers blaze new paths and do something different. Bell's has done something different with their Christmas Ale as well. But they've done something different, well, differently. Instead of a big spicy winter warmer, Bell's Christmas Ale is a sessionable Scotch ale brewed entirely using Michigan malt. Not a hint of seasonal spice to be found, no high ABVs, nothing extreme or wild or out of the ordinary. Just a good, drinkable beer, perfect for drinking a few at a holiday party. So, how does it stack up? Only one way to find out. To the beer!

Christmas Ale pours a particulate laden, and therefore, quite hazy reddish amber in color. There are some beautiful bits of vibrant orange in there as well down at the bottom of the glass. A rather vigorous pour resulted in a tall layer of fluffy, rocky, off white head that left some great lacing. After the head had receded all it took was a quick swirl of the glass to build it right back up.

The aromas here are simple yet very appealing. A toasty, biscuity malt character brings forth notes of sweet toffee and caramel. The maltiness is contrasted by subtle herbal, floral, slightly fruity hop notes. Like I said, simple, but quite nice.

Right of he bat a lovely punchy resiny hop bitterness gets things started. That leads into a very tasty, sweet, toasty, toffee, burnt caramel malt flavor. This beer is smooth, crisp, Fairly light in body, and eminently drinkable. It is on the lighter side, but it's still possessing of a great heartiness somehow. The hop flavors come out to play near the end adding a nice floral, grapefruit/ peach citrusy fruitiness. The finish is very crisp and clean and leaves me wanting the next sip immediately.

While Bell's Christmas offering doesn't offer up any of the bold seasonal spices often found in the seasonals on the shelf this time of year I didn't find myself missing them one bit. This is a terrific little beer. I found myself quite disappointed I only bought the one bottle I used for this post. As soon as I finished this bottle I wanted another. Delicious.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment