Monday, September 16, 2013

REVIEW: Wychwood Hobgoblin


Folks, I have to start today with an apology. You've probably noticed that the timing of these posts has become pretty erratic. The new job and a current lack of Internet at my new apartment (jerk neighbors password protecting their wifi) have made it so that I can't put up these posts when I would usually like. I'm sorry. I'm doing my damnedest to get three posts a week up. Sometimes that may take longer than I would prefer. Bear with me, people.

So I'm doing this beer today all because of that bizarre mug. It is beyond strange right? But so cool. So, inside of that borderline creepy mug resides what I always assumed was a brown ale. It's listed on Wychwood's website as a ruby ale and on Beer Advocate as an ESB. Well, whatever it is, Hobgoblin checks in at 5.2% ABV. To the beer!

Well, as you can see, I can't really tell you what this beer looks like inside that witch's cauldron. What I can tell you is that it's topped by a loosely bubbled layer of khaki colored head that laces nicely.

The aromas are comprised of bready, slightly yeasty sweet malt, subtle roasty chocolate, and a touch of creamy coffee. 

Hobgoblin is medium to full bodied. A rich, bready, cake like maltiness leads the way on the flavor. Sweet chocolatey notes follow and mingle with a mild roasty coffee. The coffee bitterness joins forces with an earthy hop character which lends a nice balance. A faint hit of vanilla comes in before a very dry finish. 

I really like this one. Simple, approachable, with a nice balanced flavor. Plus, it was a lot of fun drinking it out of that damn mug. 

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment