Wednesday, February 13, 2013

REVIEW: Fifty West Armadillo Crossing


More Fifty West goodness! I mentioned a handful of the beers that I tried in my visit to Fifty West, A bourbon barrel aged stout, a big American IPA, but the beer that really stood out to me was this one here. A session brown ale brewed with local maple syrup called Armadillo Crossing. A year ago, I probably may not have even ordered this beer, but as I've mentioned in recent weeks I have come to appreciate a good session beer. It takes some real finesse to make a beer low in alcohol but full in flavor. And as we will soon see, the brewers at Fifty West have that Finesse in spades. Armadillo crossing checks in at a scant 4.2% ABV and 35 IBUs. To the beer!

Armadillo Crossing pours a deep black. It's not opaque though. There are plenty of lovely looking ruby red highlights scattered about amongst the darkness. A finger of sturdy off white head leaves great rings of lacing on the way down.

The aromas are led by roasty coffee and bitter dark chocolate. There's a slight earthy character and a faint floral hint as well. Everything is underlined by a great, subtle maple-y sweetness.

The instant Armadillo Crossing hits your tongue it feels very light, almost watery. But swish the sip around the mouth a bit and it seems to expand and becomes very full, round, and hearty. There's a lovely sweetness going on in this beer. Notes of milk and dark chocolate, bits of earthy charred toffee, and plenty of maple make up the backbone of the beer. There's kind of a powdery quality to the proceedings. It finishes with some notes of roasty coffee and a surprisingly crisp bite.

This beer is excellent. It's way more heart and flavorful than any 4.2% beer has any right to be. It kind of breaks my heart that I can't just drive over to Dutch's and grab a sixer of this. But I guess that just gives me an excuse to head back to the taproom! Headc over there and give this beer a try immediately. It will not disappoint.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment