Friday, January 4, 2013

REVIEW: 21st Amendment Marooned on Hog Island


More stouts! This one, however, is a bit different. This new offering from 21st Amendment is an oyster stout. The oyster stout is a historic beer style and from my very limited research (thanks Wikipedia!) I've learned that in 18th century British pubs oysters were the predominant pub fare, and many brewers made stouts to compliment the oysters and the pairing was born. In the early 20th Century a few brewers in New Zealand and England actually brewed beers with oysters in them. In the years since Oyster Stouts seem to be few and far between. As the craft beer scene has exploded I am noticing more and more resurgences of this historic style. And after trying this beer I am certain that this is a very encouraging development. Marooned on Hog Island is brewed using oyster shells from the Hog Island Oyster Company, hence the name. Lots more interesting info here. To the beer!

Marooned on Hog Island pours a deep opaque black. It's capped by a layer of densely bubbled, tan foam that's awfully resilient. It leaves some modest spotty lacing on the way down.

A bready maltiness leads the way on the aromas. It's accompanied by hints of powdery chocolate and roasty coffee. All of this is very enjoyable, if a bit atypical for a big American stout. But what really makes this beer interesting is a subtle, but very intriguing, salty, briny, savory character that no doubt comes from being brewed with oyster shells.

Marooned on Hog Island is full bodied, rich, and a bit chewy but cleverly avoids ever feeling heavy. Bready notes of milk and dark chocolate create kind of a cake like character. A very pleasant mild sweetness ties everything together. A bit of roasty coffee bitterness helps to balance the proceedings. There is also a great earthy flavor to this beer.

I would never guess that this beer is nearly 8% alcohol. It is incredibly drinkable for a big stout without one hint of booziness. It's a bit reminiscent of that Williams Brother's Kelpie Seaweed Ale that I had a while ago and enjoyed so much. This beer gets my highest recommendations. It's great. Drinkable, with lovely and complex aromas and flavors. Make it a point to track down a four pack of this. One of the best stouts, if not beers period that I've had in a while.

HD

3 comments:

  1. I had a can of this in my grasp just last weekend...my lady was not feeling as adventurous as I was however, so back to the shelf it went. I'll have to try to track some down and give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude. Do it to it. This beer is fabulous.

      Delete
    2. I really get that crisp briny scent on the end of the nose! Fascinating. And delicious!

      Delete