Monday, September 9, 2013

REVIEW: Stillwater Classique


A while back I had the outstanding As Follows from Stillwater Artisinal Ales. I said then that I would be on the hunt for more beers from Stillwater. Well, nine months later, I'm finally back to the Baltimore based gypsy brewer of all things Belgian and farmhouse. Today I'm taking a look at Classique, a 4.5% ABV Saison, in that beautifully designed can. To the beer!

Classique pours a hazy, effervescent pale gold underneath a billowy layer of resilient    bright white foam which hangs on quite a while and leaves great lacing. 

On the nose I get robust notes of lemon alongside grassy, earthy hop hints and a touch of a peppery clove spiciness and a bit of banana. 

Classique is light in body but plenty of carbonation lends a creaminess along with a prickly mouthfeel. The flavors here are all very subtle. Nothing really jumps out to the forefront or dominates the palate. Fruity notes of lemon and lime are contrasted by a peppery spiciness and and a grassy herbal hop character. A very crisp, very bitter snap comes in on the finish. 

This is kind of a weird saison. Very light, subtle, and a surprising bitterness. In fact, it almost drinks like a lager with the sessionable crispness. It's different but I really like it. 

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment