Wednesday, May 29, 2013

REVIEW: Lagunitas Lucky 13


I'm very excited. I've finally got my grubby little paws on a bottle of Lagunitas. For reasons beyond me Lagunitas is distributed everywhere in Ohio except for the greater Cincinnati area. I believe you can get it in Dayton even, but not Cincinnati. I've been frustrated for years by the tales of how good their beer is. In my recent trip to Columbus I made it a mission to come back with at least one Lagunitas brew. I was successful. I have here a bomber of Lucky 13, which is described on the bottle as a mondo large red ale. Sounds pretty awesome. OK, today is the day I find out if all of the Lagunitas hype is warranted. To the beer!

Lucky 13 pours as any mondo large red ale should, a beautifully clear deep ruby amber topped by a tall frothy layer of off white head.

On the nose robust caramel malt notes are contrasted by bombastic resiny piney hops. Wonderful complexity is added by subtle hints of cinnamon and vanilla, a very slight roastiness, and just a touch of bright citrus.

This beer is already impressing me, and we haven't even gotten to the best part. Lucky 13 is medium to full bodied with a fabulous, creamy mouthfeel. Strong, sweet malt flavors of toffee and caramel mingle with plenty of fruity notes of apple and tangerine. Robust resinous hop flavors come in near the finish to dry out and balance what is a very big sweet beer. There are zero hints at the rather burly 8.65% ABV.

This beer is fabulous. Big, rich, hearty, with lovely sweet malty flavors, and exceptionally balanced. This is one of the best beers I've had in a good long time. I'm kind of kicking myself for only buying one bottle. If I remember correctly, the last red ale I had, Blue and Gray's Fred Red Ale, was also excellent. I really need to find some more of these type of ales. Awesome stuff. If you've can get Lagunitas in your area go grab some of this beer. Cincinnati folks, this beer is worth the drive up 71, seriously.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment