Monday, December 10, 2012

REVIEW: Rogue Santa's Private Reserve


I have had a ton of fun taking a look at all of these Christmas ales over the past few weeks. I haven't had the time to watch all of the Christmas movies and specials that I love: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, It's A Wonderful Life, Die Hard, Home Alone, Charlie Brown Christmas, and so on and so forth. In light of enjoying all of that Christmas content on tv and on film I have been enjoying my Christmas content in liquid form. The latest Christmas beer here on the blog is Santa's Private Reserve from Rogue. A dry hopped red ale in a glow in the dark bottle. To the beer!

Santa's Private Reserve pours a deep, slightly hazy chestnut brown. A lovely ruby red color becomes evident when the glass is held to light. It's topped off by a tall, rocky layer of cream colored head leaves great lacing on the side of the glass on the way down.

Piney, resiny, slightly dank, very floral hops burst out of the top of the glass. All of those hoppy notes are backed by toasty biscuity caramel notes.

Santa's Private Reserve is light to medium bodied with a great creaminess. This beer is definitely on the lighter side of the spectrum of all of the Christmas beer's I've had lately. Punchy piney hop flavors and lively carbonation hit first. That's followed up by a strong and tasty floral hop flavor. Hop bitterness mingles with an earthy, robust, caramel maltiness. It finishes with a pleasant mild lingering bitterness.

I really enjoyed this beer. Dry and bitter with tons of piney and resiny hop flavors. Plus all of the white on that label is actually glow in the dark. I don't know about you, but that earns it a couple extra points in my book.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment