Wednesday, October 24, 2012

REVIEW: Fat Head's Head Hunter


I first became aware of Fat Head's back at the Cincinnati Winter Beerfest where I had their Coffee Cream Stout which I quite enjoyed. Recently, since opening their full production brewery, they've begun production to Cincinnati. I was at Dutch's in Hyde Park last week and cases of Head Hunter were being delivered as I browsed the bottles. I grabbed a four pack as I had been waiting to get my hands on it. This is their flagship beer and has been met with much renown. The packaging heralds it's medals at the Great American Beer Festival, The World Beer Cup, and others. So anyways, an award winning, big, hoppy, west coast style IPA? Sounds good to me! To the beer!

Head Hunter pours a crystal clear, vibrant, burnished copper with bright gold and scarlet bits hidden in there. What may have been a less than optimal pour on my part led to a massive layer of fluffy, resilient, bone white head that left great lacing.

As soon as I started the pour I was greeted with huge, pungent, tropical citrus fruit hop notes. Hints of tangerine, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. There are also some big piney and sticky resinous hop aromas in here as well. I'm not getting much of a presence from the malt on the nose. It's not really that surprising though given the hop onslaught.

Head Hunter has a lighter body than I was expecting. It's very slick and creamy on the mouthfeel. At first sip this comes across as very well balanced. Piney hop flavors hit first followed quickly by fruity notes of tangerine and pineapple. Actually, on second consideration, Head Hunter isn't really all that balanced. The malt flavor doesn't really make much of an impression. It's just that the bitterness is kept pretty much in check. Headhunter finishes very dry with a strong lingering bitter finish.

I enjoyed this beer, but I wasn't blown away by it. Perhaps all those awards on the packaging created a bit too much hype. I've had it on tap before and remember enjoying it quite a bit. But having it now, it feels a bit insubstantial. The hop flavors are fabulous, don't get me wrong, but I think I would've preferred it to be backed by a more complex malt character.

HD

3 comments:

  1. It's not just your pour, I had the same problem when I reviewed this a few months back (http://queencitydrinks.com/2012/09/03/beer-review-fat-heads-head-hunter/). I've also heard other people complain of the same issue so it's something with the beer or bottling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As this is my favorite beer (especially since I am now able to enjoy it close to the source), I take some umbrage to this post. I think you need to look at this beer again through the filter of West Coast IPA's, not compare it to IPA's at large. The West Coast style is characterized by its utter disregard for balance-most aren't even brewed with caramel malts-so there is no competition with the hops. That tropical/citrusy hop punch is the hallmark my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't so much the lack of balance that bothered me. Like I said, the bitterness was kept well in check. It was more about the insubstantiality of the body. Yeah, the hop flavors were fantastic, I just would've liked to have seen them planted on a body a bit more robust. If that makes any sense.

      Delete