Friday, August 31, 2012

REVIEW: Heavy Seas Small Craft Warning

I'm not sure quite what to make of this beer. It's called Über Pils on the label, Beer Advocate designates it as an imperial pilsener. OK, that all makes sense. But on the neck of the bottle Heavy Seas calls it a bock. Now bocks and pilseners are both lagers, and a maibock or a helles bock can be very pale. But I would expect a maibock to be a much maltier bigger beer. I guess I'll just have to drink it to find out. To the beer!

Small Craft Warning pours an incredibly pretty vibrant golden yellow color. There are also some darker orange colors tucked in there as well. Tons of carbonated bubbles stream to the top and feed into a sturdy layer of white head. All in all a very good looking beer.

The aromas are fairly subtle but I'm getting some nice notes of toasty biscuity malt contrasted by a floral/ herbal hop character. There's also a very faint bit of spiciness.

Small Craft Warning is very bright, clean, and effervescent. The lightly sweet, smooth, toasty malt body is contrasted by a very tasty floral hop flavor. There's also a surprising mount of boozy flavor and alcohol warming. The 7% ABV really makes itself known in a beer this light. Until the finish everything in this beer is agreeing with me. But on the finish there's this really harsh bitterness. It doesn't really jive with the beer. Everything else is very light, delicate, balanced, and measured. The bitterness that hits on the finish feels very heavy handed.

This isn't a bad beer. But that bitter finish kind of spoils what could've been a very tasty brew. As far the bock/ imperial pilsener discussion goes, I'm not sure. I think I'm leaning towards imperial pilsener. It doesn't feel as big and malty and rich as I expect a maibock to be.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment