Wednesday, August 8, 2012

REVIEW: Great Divide Wolfgang


This beer may be a bit out of season. Don't get me wrong, this bottle is very fresh. But a big malty doppelbock in August? I haven't taken a look at a bock since March, which is when I like to drink them. The roasty malty flavors make a great bridge between Winter and Spring. But then Great Divide goes and releases Wolfgang in the middle of the Summer. It is certainly a bit odd to see a doppelbock released as a summer seasonal. But I suppose a bock really stands out in July and August when it might blend in in February and March. Although, I'm not sure how a beer with this fantastic a label could blend in whatever the time of year. Now Great Divide is one of my all time favorite breweries so I knew I'd be getting to this beer sooner or later. I'm not going to leave a style of beer I love from a brewery I love to languish on the shelves! Also, I've been jonesing for something a little maltier too. I can only drink so many crisp summery ales before I start to want to venture back to the dark side. So while this beer may be out of the traditional season, I'm pumped to give it a try. To the beer!

Wolfgang pours the deepest, darkest, most beautiful ruby red you've ever seen. It's crystal clear and damned beautiful. I know you can see some of those fiery red highlights in my photo but it really doesn't do it justice. Wolfgang is a sight to behold. This beautiful brew is capped off by a generous helping of tall sturdy tan head that leaves lovely lacing.

As pretty as this beer is the aromas might be even better. Bready, roasty, with strong notes of toffee and caramel. Scents of baking cake and even slight hints of coffee. Lovely and complex. I could leave my nose above the rim of this glass all day long.

Wolfgang is two for two so far, excellent marks for appearance and aroma. The flavor is just as outstanding. Decadently smooth and creamy. Tons of big roasty flavors come out first. Notes of toffee, caramel, semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, and chocolate cake. There's also a touch of warming from the 8% ABV. Underneath all the roasty malty flavors that I expect from a doppelbock there's this fascinating layer of tart fruitiness that just kicks this beer to another level. Hints at grapefruit, cherry, and dark berries add complexity to what was already a pretty darned complex beer.

Season be damned. Wolfgang is outstanding. This beer would be delicious any time of year. Make it a point to track this beer down, multiple bottles. I know I will be. Just a terriffic beer.

HD

No comments:

Post a Comment