Friday, April 13, 2012

REVIEW: Mikkeller Hop Burn Double Imperial IPA


Up until now I've kept this blog American beer centric. Part of that was a conscious decision. I know American beer better, I feel more confident discussing it. But in doing that I'm cutting off myself from a whole world (literally!) of awesome beers. Today's beer is from Mikkeller, a very interesting brewer. They are headquartered in Denmark but are a "phantom" brewery meaning that they brew beers at other brewery facilities in multiple countries including Denmark, Norway, Belgium, the United Kingdom, and the United States. When people in the craft beer community talk about the best breweries in the world Mikkeller is often at or very near the top of that list. I've heard tales and legends of their great beers for some time had not even seen any of them let alone tried them. Recently I found a bunch of their beers at The Party Source in Bellvue, Kentucky and knew I had to jump at the chance. To the beer!

Hop Burn pours a coppery golden color with a finger of bright bubbly white head.

The aromas are predominantly hoppy. Piney floral notes with some herbal/ medicinal aromas as well.

This beer is awfully aptly named! Huge hop flavors beat your tongue around and leave a massive bitter finish. That lingering bitterness mixes with the warming sensation form the 10% ABV does impart a lasting "burn." Medium bodied with a bit of cfreaminess. The fruity/ piney bitterness is lightly backed by some slight toffee notes. There are also some nice tart grapefruit almost granny smith apple like flavors. Balance doesn't really seem to be a goal for Mikkeller with this beer. It's all about the big, oily, mouth coating hops. Non-Hopheads need not apply.

I don't know if the beer is mellowing as it warms (I pulled this beer out of the fridge about a half hour
before drinking it), or if I've become numb to Hop Burn's beating but it's become much less punishing. The massive bitterness has subsided somewhat allowing more of the fruitiness to come to the forefront.

Mikkeller's Hop Burn is not a beer to be trifled with. A massive, bitter, hop bomb of a beer. If that sounds like your kind of beer, you'll find something to enjoy here. But like I said earlier, if hops aren't your thing, you might want to steer clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment